Thursday, July 21, 2016

Frostgrave: Adventures in a frozen city that I am slowly building.

Frostgrave:
Adventures in a frozen city that I am slowly building.




Last month at Origins I spoke to the US rep of Osprey games about their campaign based Skirmish game, Frostgrave. This game has peeked my interest since its launch last year but I have had very little exposure to it here in the states. I ended up purchasing a great hidden movement game for the Arkham House games game library called Escape from aliens in outer space and the rep threw in a free copy of Frostgraves core rulebook for me, Go Osprey Games! Since then, I have devoured the fairly basic rules of this casual "beer and pretzels" miniatures game. It has many appeals to me like the story driven aspect of the rules, the ability to use a wide range of models but mostly the need for a 3 foot by 3 foot table littered in terrain. The general rule of terrain density in Frostgrave is no more than 6 inches without cover. So I have set out to make my own table to run a campaign at Arkham in the fall. I need to give myself a realistic amount of time to complete this table. To get this project started I was lucky/impulsive enough to already own some Hirst Arts from five years prior, I also had 50 lbs of dental plaster called "Merlins Magic" and the makings of a shake table. Its like past me knew that future me would be doing this someday.


Hardy board and insulation foam acquired!


Left to right: wet water, way to small storage totes and entirely too
aggressive shake table

Making casts
This is the center stairs for the ruined tower 
Gluing 
This is with base foam cut and the ruined field stones in place. 





































For what has been done I have only used Molds #72 and #75. The biggest lesson i have learned so far is that I need to cast on a much more level surface. As for the rest of this project I need to basecoat, throw ballast down, highlight and add snow. It's going to be a lot of work but so far it's fairly enjoyable. 

1 comment: